Spouses Trying to Avoid Being Served with Divorce Pleadings

It won’t work. After your attorney files divorce papers, he/she sends it to the process server. You have 180 days from the day you file for your divorce to have your spouse served. If your spouse abandoned you and you can’t find where he/she is by diligent search, you can have your divorce published in the local newspaper legal section. If your spouse just is being very evasive, you can ask the judge to allow you to do this as well. Once service is accomplished, one way or another, and it remains unanswered for 20 days, you can proceed to get a default and go to final hearing without any further notice to your spouse. Consult an attorney about this.