James S. Werter
Background: Born April 17, 1954, and raised in New York City, James S. Werter, Esquire, graduated from John Jay College of Criminal Justice, New York in 1980, majoring in Police Science after finishing an enlistment with the U.S. Air Force as a Security Policeman. He continued his law enforcement career as a Detective Investigator with the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office and as a Senior Investigator with the N.Y.C. Mayor's Office before re-entering the military as an officer in 1981.
James S. Werter, Esquire entered the U.S. Navy as an Officer/Pilot with collateral duties in security, eventually cross-training in Naval Intelligence, assigned to Naval Investigative Service as a Reserve Officer/Agent while attending law school.
Upon his separation from active duty, James S. Werter, Esquire, attended University of Bridgeport School of Law, Connecticut, graduating in 1990, winning awards for Outstanding Legal Scholarship and Excellence in Legal Writing. Immediately after graduating, he returned to Florida where he spent his Navy career, beginning his law career as a prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, Seventh Judicial Circuit, Daytona Beach, Florida. After three years, he opened his private practice and stayed in the northeast Florida area. Additionally, he taught law classes at Daytona Beach Community College.
Over the years, James S. Werter, Esquire, has handled a great number of family law cases, such as divorce/dissolution, paternity, child support, domestic violence. He has prosecuted and defended a wide range of criminal offenses, practicing in both misdemeanor and felony courts throughout the state of Florida. He has litigated real estate and various contract disputes. He has counseled in the areas of bankruptcy and debt relief in the U. S. District Court, Middle District-Jacksonville. However, he will never perform a disservice by taking a case outside his ability. He will find the right lawyer for the situation.
James S. Werter, Esquire has a reputation of competency, aggressiveness and integrity and has always related well to his clients and their needs based on his own values and roots. Contact him by telephone or e-mail for an appointment.
- Florida, 1990
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 1993
- Quinnipiac College School of Law, Hamden, Connecticut
- University of Bridgeport School of Law, Bridgeport, Connecticut
- Juris Doctor - 1990
- Honors: Outstanding Legal Scholarship
- Honors: Excellence in Legal Writing
- John Jay College of Criminal Justice of the City University of New York, New York, New York
- B.S. - 1980
- Major: Police Science
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- The Florida Bar
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Broward Beach County Bar Association
- United States District Court
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- State Attorney’s Office, Florida Seventh Judicial Circuit, Assistant State Attorney, 1991 - 1994
- New York City Mayor's Office, Midtown Enforcement Project, Senior Investigator
- Kings County District Attorney's Office, Brooklyn, NY, Detective Investigator
- U.S. Navy
- Nancy Grace Show (HLN)
- Jane Velez Mitchell “Issues” (HLN)
- Dr. Phil Show
- Florida local news stations and print news